Braided Wig Care Doesn’t Have To Be Hard. Read These 9 Tips
Braided wigs are lifesavers, and we all remain grateful to the creative mind behind them. They are a lady’s best friend as they can come in handy no matter the situation or occasion. However, they tend to wear out quickly, which is generally due to lack of proper care. If you are wondering how to preserve the quality of your wig, here are nine tips to help you.
- Let your braided wigs rest: Yes, it’s true that you love your braided wig because it makes you look pretty, but it’s important to give it a break. You don’t have to wear them every day as this could damage your hair because of constant pressure on your edges. So rock your braided wig for a few days and then let it rest for a while before you wear it again to preserve its appearance.
- Don’t sleep with your braided wig: Sleeping with your wig is a bad practice that can drastically reduce the quality of the wig. Realize that your wig is exposed to dust and heat when you wear it all day and sleeping with it makes it prone to wears. Instead of wearing it to bed at the end of the day, remove it, straighten it with your hands and if it’s in good condition, spread it out for natural air
- Wash your braided wigs: As you might know, braided wigs are prone to dirt and smell, and you don’t want that for your wig, do you? While there’s no prescribed time for washing, make sure you do it periodically to keep it looking good and without odor.
- Use hot water occasionally: It’s not uncommon for many women to washing their wig with hot water. The problem here is that it can shrink the wig and even the tip. If you must use hot water, make it once a while to preserve the natural length of your wig and then resume the use of warm water.
- Choose natural hair to overheat: After washing your wig, you need to have it dried before using it again. Many people tend to use hot air from their blow dryers, but this could weaken and damage your wig over time. A better option is to dry the wig using natural air, which helps improve its lifespan.
- Avoid tight styles: Styling braided wigs might make you look more fashionable and sophisticated, but it has its downside. Tight styles often stress the root of the wig and can make them fall out. It can also make your natural hair slip out, and that doesn’t sound like something you’d want, does it?
- Apply conditioner/cream: What you should apply to your wig to maintain its quality depends on the type you’re using. The braided wig you are using. If it’s synthetic braided wigs, spray-on your conditioner but for human hair, get a cream version.
- Don’t hide them when dry: Drying your wig after rocking it applies to people who have had a sweaty day or whose wig got wet. Instead of hiding it in a plastic bag or box, spread it out for it to dry. This helps prevent the outbreak of fungi as well as keep it from smelling.
- Trim and straighten the wig: After you are done with washing, use only a wide tooth comb as other combs and brushes can damage the wig. Don’t also forget to trim it after washing.
Wigs can easily get worn out if not handled properly. Instead of buying wigs after wigs due to poor maintenance, you can use the nine tips above to preserve the quality and longevity of your wig.